|"And When I Die"|
|Season 4, Episode 12|
|Air date||September 11, 2011|
|Written by||Raelle Tucker|
|Directed by||Scott Winant|
"Soul of Fire"
"Turn! Turn! Turn!"
It’s Samhain, Wicca’s greatest holy day, and spirits of the dead surface in Bon Temps, giving Sookie some valuable allies to combat Marnie’s newest incarnation. Lafayette’s latest medium encounter imperils his relationship with Jesus; Jason finds confession good for the soul, but not the body; Alcide makes a heartfelt appeal to the woman he loves; Terry receives an unexpected visitor at Merlotte’s; Sam and Luna envision a storybook ending, for once; Nan wears out her welcome with Bill and Eric. As Season Four comes to a shattering conclusion, Debbie confronts Sookie and Tara with deadly consequences, and the denizens of Bon Temps brace for a new crisis with a familiar face.
"We are not fucking puppy dogs!"
― Bill Compton
It's Samhain, the Witch's greatest celebration, also known as Halloween. Lafayette has been possessed by Marnie spirit without anyone knowing. Jesus apologizes to Lafayette about pushing him into Magic before he was ready. Marnie makes Lafayette stab Jesus in the hand with a fork, which revealed her presence.
Jason goes to Hoyt to confess his affair with Jessica. Hoyt violently beats him to the ground and tells him that there's something missing inside Jason. He walks away with Jason muttering his apologies.
Possessed by Marnie, Lafayette ties Jesus to a chair. Jesus tries to reason with Marnie but she ignores him, refusing to accept that Antonia wanted to leave her. Jesus asks what she wants, and she replied that she wants his magic.
Marnie threatens Jesus with Lafayette's life if he doesn't give her his powers. Jesus finally gives up and summons the Demon inside of him. Lafayette then stabs him in the chest and licks the blood off the knife, transferring the Demon's powers to him.
Patrick Devins, an old friend of Terry's from the Marines, comes looking for him at Merlotte's and becomes acquainted with Arlene. Alcide comes in and tells Sookie that he has broken up with Debbie. He tells her that he was seeing clearly for the first time and that he wants Sookie to do the same. Getting what he's implying, Sookie says that she can't change who she loves even though she's tried. Alcide simply says, "Try harder."
Tara goes to check up on Lafayette and finds Jesus' body inside. She drives to Merlotte's to warn Sookie and Holly. They predict that Marnie would go after Bill and Eric and drive over to Bill's house. They find both vampires chained in silver and tied to a post over a pile of wood. Lafayette/Marnie appears and Tara begs her to stop. She refuses and sets fire to the wood under Bill and Eric. Sookie uses her gift to push Lafayette out of a circle of salt that Holly had made and his face becomes demonic.
Holly, Sookie and Tara begin chanting a spell that creates a barrier around the circle and causes spirits from the graveyard, including Antonia and Sookie's Gran to appear in front of them.
Antonia blows out the fire like a candle and Gran pulls Marnie out of Lafayette's body. Antonia then persuades Marnie to forget her rage for the vampires and come to the afterlife with her. She explains that life is pain and that afterwards, there is peace. She convinces Marnie the vampires do not win in the end, as they are trapped in this world. After hearing this, Marnie releases her hate and agrees to depart. Sookie asks her Gran to stay, saying that she's lost and doesn't know what to do without her. Gran replies that she can't stay and that Sookie knows in her heart what to do. She then goes with the other ghosts back to the netherworld.
Jessica runs over to Jason's house. He lets her in and she realizes that he told Hoyt about them. They proceed to make love on the sofa. Jessica tells Jason that she doesn't want to be his girlfriend because she doesn't want to hurt him like she did Hoyt. Jason agrees and they continue to make love.
At Fangtasia, Pam throws a fit over Sookie stealing Eric away from her and bursts into tears over losing her Maker and is comforted by Ginger who is dressed as a nurse and has a bite mark on her breast.
At Sookie's house, Tara is trying to console Lafayette over what happened to Jesus. Lafayette blames himself for what Marnie made him do. Later that night, Jesus appears to Lafayette and tells him that he's fine with what happened. Lafayette asks him how he's meant to live with what he did. Jesus replies, "Just keep breathing" and leaves.
Sookie feeds her blood to Bill and Eric to heal their injuries. She admits that she is in love with both of them but says that she can't be with either of them. They try to stop her but she stands by her choice and walks out of Bill's house, sobbing.
Back at Jason's, Jessica and Jason talk about their relationship. Jason asks if there's a part of him that's missing and she says that there isn't. She leaves after a few minutes. Someone knocks on the door. Jason goes to answer it and is shocked to see Steve Newlin standing there, baring newly made fangs at him.
Alcide gets a call from a work colleague of his about a hole being dug in the ground and goes to investigate. He discovers that the worker has been glamoured and that Russell Edgington has broken out of his imprisonment in concrete.
At Bill's, Nan Flanagan arrives with three V-Feds and tells Bill and Eric that she quit the AVL and The Vampire Authority. She also tells them there's a price on their two heads and that she requests they join her in a mutiny against the Authority. They respond by killing the guards and Nan.
Debbie breaks into Sookie's house with a shotgun. She points the gun at Sookie but before she fires, Tara pushes Sookie out of the way. The blast intended for Sookie hits Tara in the head. Sookie wrestles Debbie to the ground and shoots her in the face with her own gun. Sookie cradles Tara's body in her arms, screaming for help.
- This episode currently hasn't received any awards.
- This episode does not contain any allusions.
Bloopers and Continuity ErrorsEdit
- In Cold Grey Light of Dawn, Pam hires Dr. Ludwig to cure her decomposing state, stating that she would look as she used to, but still be decomposing in the inside. Since then, we see Pam regenerated but with veins painted in her face and neck: After Antonia finds peace in Soul of Fire, all spells cast by her are reverted, but in this episode we see Pam with Ginger using the same clothes that she wears in the previous episode, where she leaves Moon Goddess Emporium and shortly after that Marnie dies. It is not clear if the spell cast on Pam wasn't reverted or if the scene was filmed during the shootings of "Soul of Fire," not leaving time enough for a new shoot with a costume and make-up arrangement.
- There are no continuity notes for this episode.
- There are no flashbacks that occur in this episode.
- There are no miscredits that occur in this episode.
- Drivin' Nails in my Coffin - Those Darlins
- Rockin' Bones - Ronnie Dawson
- Monster Mash - Bobby (Boris) Pickett & The Crypt Kickers
- On a Fast Moving Train - The Great Crusaders
- Bucket of Blood - The Great Crusaders
- Where Did You Sleep Last Night - Jim Oblon
- Aly, Walk with Me - The Raveonettes
- Dogs of Hell - Jason Novak
- And When I Die - The Heavy
- There are no production notes available for this episode.
- There are no notes on the title based on this episode.
- There is currently no trivia associated with this episode.
- "People don't change. They just find new ways to lie."
- "People always say 'follow your heart.' What if your heart keeps telling you to do the same stupid shit over and over again?"
Antonia Gavilán de Logroño:
- "All creatures have their purpose even vampires."
- "The cruelty serves its purpose to bring you and I together."
- "Oh! Marnie, Marnie can't you see. Life is pain, but soon all you have suffered and feared would be meaningless. You will be at peace but them. Then there is no victory in that."
Arlene Fowler: "You two wanna go trick or treating at the trailer park again getting bags of empty Coors cans and food stamps or do you want candy? Your choice."
Bill Compton: "I liked you better when you were brain-damaged."
- "Revenge won't bring you peace."
- "What a bitch"
- "Excuse me. We're feeling a little crispy here."
- "Hi, Nan... and gay Stormtroopers."
- "Bill had his chance. He blew it. He lied to you."
- "Oh, so you'd sacrifice my progeny instead of your own. How very un-kingly of you."
- "You can't trade magic like fucking Pokémon cards!"
- "Just keep breathing, baby."
- "How can you say that they murdered us!?"
- "This fucking sucks!"
Pamela Swynford de Beaufort: "Sookie... I am so over Sookie and her precious fairy vagina and her unbelievably stupid name! Fuck Sookie!"
Sam Merlotte: "Nobody taught Tommy how to love somebody without hurting them."
Special guest starringEdit
|Episode #||Episode Title||Viewers (in millions)|
|#4.12 (48)||"And When I Die"||5.05|
|True Blood Season 4|
|<< Season 1 • << Season 2 • << Season 3||Season 5 >> • Season 6 >> • Season 7>>|
|#01 "She's Not There"||#07 "Cold Grey Light of Dawn"|
|#02 "You Smell Like Dinner"||#08 "Spellbound"|
|#03 "If You Love Me, Why Am I Dyin'?"||#09 "Let's Get Out of Here"|
|#04 "I'm Alive and on Fire"||#10 "Burning Down the House"|
|#05 "Me and the Devil"||#11 "Soul of Fire"|
|#06 "I Wish I Was the Moon"||#12 "And When I Die"|