- "Someday, if I ever find another man, I want you to look inside his head and tell me everything that's in there."
- ―Arlene to Sookie[src]
Arlene Fowler Bellefleur is a major character in the first, second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth seasons of True Blood. She is played by starring cast member Carrie Preston. She is now the current owner of Bellefluer's and friend to Sookie Stackhouse. Married 5 times, she has 3 children, Coby, Lisa and Mikey.
Although it has never been addressed directly, Arlene seems to be a medium, albeit one of far less power than Lafayette Reynolds. She was able to see the ghosts of Rene, Mavis and Zaafira. If she is a medium, even one of lesser power, this would explain Mikey's mediumship.
Arlene is a sassy Southern woman who sees herself as spunky; she says what she wants, sometimes disregarding others' feelings. Arlene is a fair-weather friend. Sookie finds herself working Arlene's shifts when she needs to leave early and takes care of her kids while she is at dates. Still, a lot of her flightiness at work is due to how much she worries about her children, and it is apparent time and time again that they are her whole world.
Arlene also proves to be a caring and loving individual. She is fiercely protective of her children, refusing to leave her burning house until she found them. While she has a good heart, she is often apt to resort to bigotry (directed at vampires) and openly disapproves of Sookie's relationship with Bill. Arlene often makes remarks that have distinctly racist undertones though this often appears to be unintentional. Despite her flaws, it is clear that she's capable of deep love and devotion, as seen in her relationships with Terry Bellefleur and her children.
Powers & Abilities Edit
Arlene is a psychic medium. She has the ability to see the spirits of the deceased. As shown, when she was able to see the ghost of her deceased love Rene. Also, she was able to see the ghost of Mavis an African Woman after Mikey because she felt as if Mikey was her own son who was killed.
Her mediumship explains why Mikey can see ghost. Most likely, passed on to him by his mother.
The current extent of her powers are not fully shown. It is not known yet if she is a natural born Wiccan or not.
- Arlene: Shit, I'm pregnant again.
- Lafayette: Hey, you forgot your rings.
- Arlene: Fuck my rings.("New World in My View")
- Arlene: I want you to promise me somethin', okay?
- Sookie: Okay.
- Arlene: Someday, if I ever find another man, I want you to look inside his head and tell me everything that's in there.
- Sookie: Uh... Arlene, it doesn't really work that way.
- Arlene: Promise me, okay? Cause I have the worst taste in men.("You'll Be the Death of Me")
- Arlene: "You two wanna go trick or treating at the trailer park again getting bags of empty Coors cans and food stamps or do you want candy? Your choice."
- Arlene: "No darlin' we're white. He's dead." [to Coby]("Sparks Fly Out")
- Arlene: "Vampire bar wasn't all it was made out to be. I hear there are a lot of freaks and people from Arkansas." [to Sookie when talking about Fangtasia] ("Sparks Fly Out")
- Arlene: "Suppose she gets pregnant. How in the world can she nurse a baby with fangs?" ("Burning House of Love")
- Arlene: "And loyalty. You gotta know that person is going to be there for you through thick and thin. 'Cause you never know when some Iraqi ghost lady is gonna curse your entire family." [to Andy Bellefleur on relationships] ("Sunset")
|Season one appearances|
|"Strange Love"||"The First Taste"||"Mine"||"Escape from Dragon House"|
|"Sparks Fly Out"||"Cold Ground"||"Burning House of Love"||"The Fourth Man in the Fire"|
|"Plaisir D'Amour"||"I Don't Wanna Know"||"To Love Is to Bury"||"You'll Be the Death of Me"|
|Season two appearances|
|"Nothing but the Blood"||"Keep This Party Going"||"Scratches"||"Shake and Fingerpop"|
|"Never Let Me Go"||"Hard-Hearted Hannah"||"Release Me"||"Timebomb"|
|"I Will Rise Up"||"New World in My View"||"Frenzy"||"Beyond Here Lies Nothin'"|
|Season three appearances|
|"Bad Blood"||"Beautifully Broken"||"It Hurts Me Too"||"9 Crimes"|
|"Trouble"||"I Got a Right to Sing the Blues"||"Hitting the Ground"||"Night on the Sun"|
|"Everything Is Broken"||"I Smell a Rat"||"Fresh Blood"||"Evil is Going On"|
|Season four appearances|
|"She's Not There"||"You Smell Like Dinner"||"If You Love Me, Why Am I Dyin'?"||"I'm Alive and on Fire"|
|"Me and the Devil"||"I Wish I Was the Moon"||"Cold Grey Light of Dawn"||"Spellbound"|
|"Let's Get Out of Here"||"Burning Down the House"||"Soul of Fire"||"And When I Die"|
|Season five appearances|
|"Turn! Turn! Turn!"||"Authority Always Wins"||"Whatever I Am, You Made Me"||"We’ll Meet Again"|
|"Let's Boot and Rally"||"Hopeless"||"In the Beginning"||"Somebody That I Used to Know"|
|"Everybody Wants to Rule the World"||"Gone, Gone, Gone"||"Sunset"||"Save Yourself"|
|Season six appearances|
|"Who Are You, Really?"||"The Sun"||"You're No Good"||"At Last"|
|"Fuck the Pain Away"||"Don't You Feel Me"||"In the Evening"||"Dead Meat"|