Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Created to complementEdit
Designed and developed by parent company HBO, companion websites were part of HBO's elaborate viral marketing campaign used to establish viewership. Targeted to a global audience, the websites provided bonus material that sometimes took a behind-the-scenes approach in their delivery. The information presented complemented various aspects of the series. For example, the site LoveBitten.net was a Human/Vampire dating site created to complement the Season 1 concepts of vampire dating.
The need to archiveEdit
All good things come to an end. Especially when it comes to a website whose existence relies on a company paying a yearly tab. Websites and their resources must be maintained, and their cost to exist usually isn't cheap. For this reason, many companies will delete the companion website, usually within the first five years after the product complemented is no longer on the market. This is one reason why LoveBitten.net was deleted within the first three years, but BabyVamp-Jessica.com still exists, albeit without updates.
The need for website archival becomes prevalent when the companion website goes away for good.
Original Companion WebsitesEdit
Season 2 WebsitesEdit
Season 2 introduced several new companion websites, based on HBO partnership with real-life companies. Promotional propaganda was used to not only create awareness of the product or service, but to provide a new way of obtaining viewership. The banners below were used as billboards along the roadside in big cities.
Themes included cologne to help vampires attract a human, job listings for mainstreaming vampires, and even motorcycles to help a vampire "outrun the sun".
While other companion websites were developed with genuine content, all websites created during Season 2 acted only as redirects leading the viewer to the True Blood page on the HBO website, HBO.com. They contained no standalone content.
There were four additional websites created, each containing a sweepstakes that could be played to win cash and prizes. Users could play games or watch videos and receive codes, followed by a message saying they were either a "winner" or "loser" of an Instant Win prize. Each time a video was watched, one entry into the contest's larger drawing, for cash or larger prizes, was submitted, and losing an Instant Win did not disqualify a user's chance at winning the larger prize.
Season 6 WebsitesEdit
Season 6 introduced several new companion websites, based on HBO's desire to modernize their image. Deviating from past designs and anachronistic styling, these newer websites took a much more modernized approach in displaying the content. These sites were, for the most part, sites created for interactivity on the part of the user.
- Vamps-vs-humans.com - A flash pictorial of the history of True Blood.
- TruetotheEnd.com - An official blog.
- Keep-America-Human.com - redirected to KeepAmericaHuman.com.
- TruBloodDrink.com - redirected to TruBeverage.com.
- TrueBloodEternal.com - possibly a companion site giving information about True Blood Night Eternal, the official True Blood Card Game.
- TrueBloodExperience.com - redirected to TrueBloodFanExperience.com.
- TrueBloodGame.com - possibly a redirect to TrueBloodEternal.com.
- TrueBloodJewelry.com - redirected to True Blood jewelry listings on HBO.com shop page
- VampsKill.com - redirected to Vamps-Kill.com.
HBO had registered several other domains that were more than likely for the sole purpose of keeping others from buying them up. It is unknown if they either possessed any standalone content or were used as a redirect.
- InsideTrueBloodBlog.com - possibly a redirect to BloodCopy.com or BabyVamp-Jessica.com
- Inside-True-Blood-Blog.com - possibly a redirect to BloodCopy.com or BabyVamp-Jessica.com
- LoverBite.com - possibly a redirect to LoveBitten.net
- TrueBloodPrograms.com - possibly a redirect to the True Blood page on HBO.com
- TrueBloodRealEstate.com - possibly a site on real estate for vampires.
- TrueBloodSweeps.com - possibly a redirect to any of the four contest websites.
Twentieth Century FoxEdit
At least two websites were created by movie producer/distributor Twentieth Century Fox. They are listed for archival purposes, as they come from an official source. Note however that they are NOT produced by HBO, and the question of their inclusion is still in debate.