As implied in "New World in My View", Dionysus is known by many names, each of which denotes different aspects of Dionysus. The alternate names that were shown for Dionysus and what they mean are as follows:
- Bromios: being noisy or boisterous.
- Dendrities: meaning he of the trees.
- Eleutherios: meaning the liberator.
- Enorches: a name that denotes Dionysus as a fertility god.
- Bacchus: the name for Dionysus used by the Romans.
It is implied by the Queen Sophie-Anne Leclerq in "Frenzy" that gods, like Dionysus, are not inexistent, they just "never show up". Also, Daphne implies that Dionysus is in fact Satan himself (this would also tie in well with Maryann being identified as Lilith).
The bull, the serpent, the ivy and the wine are the signs and characteristics of Dionysus. Dionysus was another god of resurrection who was strongly linked to the bull. This may explain why Sam shapeshifted into a white bull.