|"Everything Is Broken"|
|Season 3, Episode 9|
|Air date||August 15, 2010|
|Written by||Alexander Woo|
|Directed by||Scott Winant|
"Night on the Sun"
"I Smell a Rat"
With the ratification of the Vampire Rights Amendment at hand, Nan Flanagan detours to Fangtasia to confront Eric about the Magister’s disappearance. A grief-stricken Russell vows revenge against his foes, vampire and human. Awaking from a slumber, Bill uncovers the truth about Sookie’s true identity. Jason gets unexpected help as he goes up against Felton (James Harvey Ward) and Calvin. Sam is distressed by Tommy’s attitude; Tara encounters a new ally and an old tormentor; Hadley introduces Sookie to a new family member; Arlene despairs about her future; Hoyt confronts his true feelings.
"We lived through so much for so long.
It can't end this quickly."
― Debbie Pelt
Sookie and Bill appear to be back together, speaking light-heartedly about the strange nature of their relationship. Sookie has obviously become desensitized by recent events, she barely reacts when she finds a dead body in her house, and is ready with a plan to dispose of it. She points this out in herself when she tells Bill she feels like she's half-way on being a vampire. Sookie confronts Bill about the file he has on her, and Bill tells her he was trying to figure out why Eric has shown such interest in her.
Jason, upon returning from his confrontation with Calvin, finds Felton interrogating Crystal - who acts like she's been kidnapped. Crystal unnecessarily tells Felton Jason raped her, which distracts Jason and allows Felton to get the upper hand and disarm Jason. She then hits him in the back of the head with the butt of Jason's shotgun, and while searching him she finds a bag of "V" vials. Crystal ties Felton up.
Jason drives the three of them to a secluded spot, and after dropping off the unconscious Felton, he makes an anonymous call to the sheriff's department giving them his whereabouts and tipping them about the V. Later we find out that Deputy Ellis was the one to respond to the tip-off, and Felton has beaten him half-to-death and escaped.
Nan Flanagan, alongside a group of armed "V-Feds", detours to Fangtasia to confront Eric about the Magister’s disappearance. A hearing is held in which Eric tells his side of the story to The Authority via webcam, after which Eric and Pam are put on house-arrest. Eric tells Pam that he will not let her take any blame for what has happened, and if the decision goes badly for him, she is ready to become a maker and should create a new vampire.
Tara decides to attend a support group meeting for victims of violent crimes, and runs into Merlotte's newest waitress Holly there, where a bond begins to form between them. Sookie meets Hadley at the aquarium where she is introduced to Hadley's son Hunter. Hadley begs Sookie to find out if Hunter is telepathic, which she does after the two have a brief telepathic conversation.
Tara and Holly walk into Merlotte's together seemingly new friends, Arlene has a verbal confrontation with Tommy, reducing her to tears. Holly consoles her in Sam's office, and as with Tara, the two have a moment of bonding.
Bill has a dream-state encounter with Claudine - apparently as yet another result of drinking such a large quantity of Sookie's blood. Bill tries to convince Claudine that his intentions with Sookie are pure, and seemingly learns the origin of Sookie's powers.
Hoyt shows up at Merlotte's with Summer and the couple are waited on by a visibly upset Jessica. Hoyt tells Jessica he still has feelings for her and doesn't like Summer, Jessica becomes emotional about the situation, and Tommy only sees the end of the conversation which adds to his hatred of Hoyt.
Jason gets unexpected help when Calvin shows up at Merlotte's looking for Crystal in the form of Sam, who has been pushed one too many times and snaps on Calvin - beating him bloody. Jesus arranges a discrete ER trip for Calvin, and as they drive away, Franklin shows up out of nowhere & snatches Tara up.
Jason appears wielding a shotgun and orders Franklin away from Tara; Franklin arrogantly tells Jason how futile shooting him would be, and Jason fires - destroying Franklin once-and-for-all with wood-stake bullets.
A grief-stricken, insanely enraged Russell vows revenge against all who stand in the way of his revenge on Eric, whilst holding Talbot's remains in a crystal jar. At the end of the episode he takes over a televised news broadcast, slaying the TBBN anchor Jerry McCafferty, and effectively destroying the "non-violent" foundation that the AVL has laid in order to lobby for the ratification of the Vampire Rights Amendment.
The king states explicitly, and in no uncertain terms that humans should be afraid of vampires, that vampires don't consider humans their equal, and that all vampires want to do is eat humans.
- "Do not turn off the camera! You have seen how quickly I can kill. Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Russell Edgington and I have been a vampire for nearly 3,000 years. Now the American Vampire League wishes to perpetrate the notion that we are just like you. And I suppose in a few small ways we are. We're narcissists, we care only about getting what we want, no matter what it costs, just like you. Global warming, perpetual war, toxic waste, child labor, torture, genocide... that's a small price to pay for your SUVs and your flat screen TVs, your blood diamonds, your designer jeans, your absurd garish McMansions. Futile symbols of permanence to quell your quivering, spineless souls. But no, in the end. We are nothing like you. We are immortal. Because we drink the true blood, blood that is living, organic and human. And that is the truth the AVL wishes to conceal from you. Because let's face it, eating people is a tough sell these days. So they put on their friendly faces to pass their beloved VRA but make no mistake, mine is the true face of vampires! Why would we seek equal rights? You are not our equals. We will eat you. After we eat your children. Now time for the weather. Tiffany?"
- ―Russell Edgington to The World[src]
- Nathan Barr and Lisbeth Scott were nominated for a Hollywood Music in Media Award for Best Song for "Take Me Home"
- This episode does not contain any allusions.
Bloopers and Continuity ErrorsEdit
- There are no bloopers that occur in this episode.
- This is the first appearance of "The Authority." However they only speak to Nan Flannigan and are only briefly viewed from the back.
- The strange effects Sookie's blood has on Bill continue to assert themselves, and Bill's "dream-state" encounter with Claudine apparently leaves him with knowledge of the origin of Sookie's powers (though he doesn't share it before the episode ends).
- Claudine briefly demonstrates the telekinetic power Sookie is just beginning to discover as she knocks Bill back several yards with a wave of her hand.
- Hadley's son (Sookie's first-cousin once removed) shares Sookie's telepathic ability.
- Nan (presumably on orders from The Authority) tells Eric he will be in the free and clear as long as he destroys Russell discretely, and off the record.
- Jason Stackhouse kills Tara's tormentor, the vampire Franklin with a wooden shotgun round he got during his time at the Fellowship of the Sun.
- This marks the 1st episode since his first appearance that Alcide Herveaux doesn't appear.
- Nan is seen hypocritically drinking human blood - rather than the Tru Blood she professes as her only means of sustenance.
- There are no flashbacks that occur in this episode.
- There are no miscredits that occur in this episode.
- "How To Become Clairvoyant" - Robbie Robertson
- "Tricked Out" - Disposable Youth
- "Be My Queen" - Bosshouse Music
- "Take Me Home" - Nathan Barr & Lisbeth Scott
- "Heart Of Steel" - Galactic
- "So Far,So Good" - Jim Bianco
- "Holding On Too Tight" - Britt Savage
- "Faith" - Alejandro Escovedo
- "Heaven Knows" - James Combs & Joey Peters
- "Dead & Gone" - Los Infernos
- "Everything Is Broken" - Bob Dylan
- Alexander Woo - Writer
- Scott Winant - Director
- Nancy Oliver - Co-Executive Producer
- Brian Buckner - Co-Executive Producer
- Alan Ball - Executive Producer
- Gregg Fienberg - Executive Producer
- Alan Ball - Creator
- Christine Jokanovich - Associate Producer
- Audrey Fisher - Costume Designer
- Kate Barnow - Script Coordinater
- Cat Smith - Art Director
- Daniel Bradford - Set Designer(Lead Set Designer)
- Raelle Tucker - Supervising Producer
- Mark McNair - Line Producer(Produced by)
- Suzuki Ingerslev - Production Designer
- There are no notes on the title based on this episode.
- There is currently no trivia associated with this episode.
- (to Jason): "You realize that I'm a vampire and you could empty every round in me and I will heal."
- (to Bill as they were cleaning up the dead were body): "Normal couples do not do this Bill Compton!"
- (to Bill): "Just once, I'd like to not find a dead body in my house. Is that asking too much?"
- (to Eric): "Listen you whiney little bitch!"
- (to bodyguards): "Bring a couple of coffins for Eric and his... (to Pam) and whatever you are."
- Marshall Allman as Tommy Mickens
- Chris Bauer as Andy Bellefleur
- Kristin Bauer van Straten as Pam
- Nelsan Ellis as Lafayette Reynolds
- Todd Lowe as Terry Bellefleur
- Jim Parrack as Hoyt Fortenberry
- Carrie Preston as Arlene Fowler Bellefleur
- Alexander Skarsgard as Eric Northman
- Deborah Ann Woll as Jessica Hamby
- James Frain as Franklin Mott
- Lara Pulver as Claudine Crane
- Lauren Bowles as Holly Cleary
- Lindsey Haun as Hadley Hale
- Gregory Sporleder as Calvin Norris
- James Harvey Ward as Felton Norris
- Jessica Tuck as Nan Flanagan
- Tara Buck as Ginger
- Lindsay Pulsipher as Crystal Norris
- Tanya Wright as Kenya Jones
- Melissa Rauch as Summer
- Tess Alexandra Parker as Rosie
Special guest starringEdit
|True Blood Season 3|
|<< Season 1 • << Season 2||Season 4 >> • Season 5 >> • Season 6 >>|
|#01 "Bad Blood"||#07 "Hitting the Ground"|
|#02 "Beautifully Broken"||#08 "Night on the Sun"|
|#03 "It Hurts Me Too"||#09 "Everything Is Broken"|
|#04 "9 Crimes"||#10 "I Smell a Rat"|
|#05 "Trouble"||#11 "Fresh Blood"|
|#06 "I Got a Right to Sing the Blues"||#12 "Evil is Going On"|