- "Just keep breathing, baby."
- ―Jesus to Lafayette[src]
Jesús Velásquez (pronounced heh-soos) is a major character in the third, fourth, and fifth seasons of the HBO original series True Blood. He is played by starring cast member Kevin Alejandro and debuts in "Beautifully Broken". He was the boyfriend of Lafayette Reynolds. A brujo of Mexican origin, he met his partner while being employed as a medical nurse for Lafayette's mother Ruby Jean. He discovered that Lafayette was "powerful" and carefully introduced him to witchcraft, magic and mediumship. Eventually he managed to get Lafayette to join the witch coven of Marnie Stonebrook, a friend of his.
Jesus was a very caring and compassionate person. He would always try to help others with their problems, evidenced by his profession as a nurse.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
While the nature of his abilities are not explicitly stated in the series, it was later revealed that Jesus was a brujo, allowing him to see awaken the darkness passed down in his family. His grandfather was a practitioner of magic and is assumed that Jesus has a natural affinity for magic as he was seen to successfully cast spells. Due to this, he is able to produce fire and can break even the strongest of spells (such as the spell Marnie used to bind Antonia to her, using Antonia's magic). While under possession, Marnie forced Jesus to transfer his magic to Lafayette's body, killing Jesus in the process. Jesus is now a ghost and can communicate with Lafayette in ghost form. Jesus's magic still surfaces when Lafayette becomes emotional.
- That sounds like a compliment. Ruby, we gotta go. Come on. You need to bless the jello so everyone can eat. Come on! - Jesus to Ruby Jean when they were at Lafayette's house.
- Jesús: "A visit from the chef. Wow. It's my lucky day!"
- Lafayette: "I wanted to meet the sick fuck who ordered the veggie burger with bacon."
- Jesús: "I was just curious to see if you'd actually do it."
- Lafayette: "Boyfriend, for you, I'd do all kind of things against my better judgment."
- Jesús: "That's why I come back. For the personal service."
- Lafayette: "You don't finish that, and you ain't getting no dessert."
- Jason: "Hey, when you and Lafayette role play. Does he ever pretend to be a woman named Mavis?"
- Jesus: "I'm going to forget you just said that."
- Jesus: "YOU CAN'T TRADE MAGIC LIKE FUCKING POKEMON CARDS!"
- Lafayette: "I killed the man I love... How am I supposed to live with that?"
- Jesus: "Just keep breathing, baby..." *kisses him* "It's that simple."
|Season three appearances|
|"Bad Blood"||"Beautifully Broken"||"It Hurts Me Too"||"9 Crimes"|
|"Trouble"||"I Got a Right to Sing the Blues"||"Hitting the Ground"||"Night on the Sun"|
|"Everything Is Broken"||"I Smell a Rat"||"Fresh Blood"||"Evil is Going On"|
|Season four appearances|
|"She's Not There"||"You Smell Like Dinner"||"If You Love Me, Why Am I Dyin'?"||"I'm Alive and on Fire"|
|"Me and the Devil"||"I Wish I Was the Moon"||"Cold Grey Light of Dawn"||"Spellbound"|
|"Let's Get Out of Here"||"Burning Down the House"||"Soul of Fire"||"And When I Die"|
|Season five appearances|
|"Turn! Turn! Turn!"||"Authority Always Wins"||"Whatever I Am, You Made Me"||"We’ll Meet Again"|
|"Let's Boot and Rally"||"Hopeless"||"In the Beginning"||"Somebody That I Used to Know"|
|"Everybody Wants to Rule the World"||"Gone, Gone, Gone"||"Finally"||"Save Yourself"|