Luna Garza is a major character in the fourth, and fifth seasons of True Blood. She is played by starring cast member Janina Gavankar. She is a Skinwalker introduced as a new love interest for the already established Sam Merlotte. A minor character by the name of Luna appears in the second Sookie Stackhouse book, Living Dead in Dallas.
Early life Edit
Luna is of Mexican descent on her mother's side and Indian descent on her father's side. Luna's mother died giving birth to her and she was raised by her father and grandparents in a Navajo reservation. As Luna's mother died giving birth to her, Luna is responsible for indirectly ending her mother's life. A shapeshifter who kills another shapeshifting member of their family becomes a skinwalker, someone capable of turning into any animal (including humans) on Earth. The Navajo believed skinwalkers to be evil witches so Luna most likely had a difficult time growing up. At some stage, she shapeshifted into her dead mother. Luna deemed the experience "crazy" and "scary" but she was also happy to assume the form her own mother who she never remembered.
- See "Luna Garza/Season 4"
Powers & Abilities Edit
- Shapeshifting - Luna is able to shapeshift into any other animal at will although she is forced to change on a full moon. While most Shapeshifters can only turn into typical animals, Luna is also capable of transforming into other humans because she killed another Shapeshifting member of her family; as her mother died giving birth to her. This makes Luna a Skinwalker.
- Superhuman Strength - As a Shapeshifter, Luna is also slightly stronger than humans though she is no match for even newborn vampires.
- Superhuman Speed - Luna has slightly superior speed while in human form. Her speed peaks while in the form of fast animals.
- Superhuman Senses - Luna has greatly enhanced senses.
Luna in the books Edit
Luna is introduced as a minor character in the second book, Living Dead in Dallas and the only major character she interacts with is Sookie. Luna is a Hispanic woman with dark hair and eyes and lives in Dallas. She's working undercover at the Fellowship of the Sun church in Dallas and helps Sookie escape from it when Steve Newlin imprisons her there. As Luna and Sookie take off, Luna explains more about the supernatural community to Sookie and introduces her to two werewolves. Luna is a shapeshifter and she calls herself werebat, the bat is the form most comfortable to her, as the collie is to Sam. Luna has not made any further appearances in the books, however, she did make an appearance in the novella "Small Town Wedding".
True Blood Edit
|Season four appearances|
|"She's Not There"||"You Smell Like Dinner"||"If You Love Me, Why Am I Dyin'?"||"I'm Alive and on Fire"|
|"Me and the Devil"||"I Wish I Was the Moon"||"Cold Grey Light of Dawn"||"Spellbound"|
|"Let's Get Out of Here"||"Burning Down the House"||"Soul of Fire"||"And When I Die"|
|Season five appearances|
|"Turn! Turn! Turn!"||"Authority Always Wins"||"Whatever I Am, You Made Me"||"We’ll Meet Again"|
|"Let's Boot and Rally"||"Hopeless"||"In the Beginning"||"Somebody That I Used to Know"|
|"Everybody Wants to Rule the World"||"Gone, Gone, Gone"||"Sunset"||"Save Yourself"|