|Season 2, Episode 7|
|Air date||August 2, 2009|
|Written by||Raelle Tucker|
|Directed by||Michael Ruscio|
Still being held in the basement at the Church, it becomes obvious to Sookie that Steve knew they were coming, but is not sure why. That tells her there is a spy among them. She tries to get a message to Bill, but he is being held prisoner by his maker, who refuses to let him go after the woman he loves. In flashbacks, Bill's conversion to a less violent lifestyle is revealed. When Steve learns Sookie's true identity, he makes the connection with Jason and assumes he's a spy. As they begin to wreak their vengeance, Sookie is saved by someone she has yet to meet. Back at the hotel Jessica and Hoyt decide to sleep together. In Bon Temps, Sam manages to escape, courtesy of a drunken Andy Bellefleur. Any plans he may have had for getting even with Daphne are overtaken by Maryann who has her own plans for her acolyte. The rest of the revelers have no memory of what happened the night before.
"It's true. You're in love with a human.
That's so tragic, it's funny."
― Lorena Krasiki, to Bill Compton
Still drunk, Andy Bellefleur chases the pig through the woods and stumbles upon Maryann Forrester's orgy. He fires his pistol, partially breaking the trance Maryann has induced on everyone, giving Sam the opportunity to run. Maryann starts chasing him, but Sam, hearing and then seeing an owl in the woods, is able to shape-shift into an owl himself and fly away leaving an angry Maryann behind. Andy breaks up the orgy and has his arm broken by Terry Bellefleur who is still under Maryann’s influence.
In the basement of the Light of Day Institute, Sookie Stackhouse deduces that someone must have tipped off the Fellowship of the Sun about their mission. While at the hotel, Lorena Krasiki will still not allow Bill Compton to go to Sookie’s rescue and flashbacks of Los Angeles in 1935 reveal how Bill struggles with his relationship with Lorena.
Tired of killing innocents, Bill asks to be released from her, even though she tries to convince him that he can overcome his conscience. She reluctantly releases him after he threatens to stake himself.
Outside the church, Eric Northman and Isabel Beaumont are watching, unaware of the danger Sookie and Hugo Ayres are in. Eric asks her what she likes about being with a human and she says it is because their mortality makes everything in life urgent and exciting, but also says it is a sort of "science experiment" to see Hugo age into decrepitude. Isabel accuses Eric of coveting Sookie but he denies being interested in her. In the church, Sarah Newlin wants to run off and tell Steve about her and Jason Stackhouse, but Jason convinces her that their duty to God must come first and she agrees to wait.
Hoyt Fortenberry tells Jessica Hamby that he is a virgin and she reveals that she is, too. They decide to be each other’s first time. Eric and Isabel arrive back at the Hotel Carmilla and Stan Baker confronts Eric about not dealing with the Fellowship more directly. Eric accuses him of murdering Godric to claim his place as Sheriff, which he denies. Eric says he no longer cares if Stan runs into the church to kill them all.
The next morning, Tara Thornton and Eggs wake up on Sookie’s couch and neither can remember what happened to them after they followed the trail of clothes. Steve and Gabe interrogate Sookie. A claustrophobic Hugo desperately reveals that her last name is Stackhouse and that she is Jason’s sister. Deciding that Jason must be a vampire sympathizer, he tells Gabe to take care of it. Gabe drags Jason into the woods to kill him, but he manages to escape after beating Gabe up.
Later Sookie reads a weakened Hugo's mind and it turns out that Hugo is the traitor. His motive is that he realizes Isabel is just using him and vampires take over a mortal's life in the name of loving them.
Sam confronts Daphne Landry at gunpoint at the stream and she explains to him that Maryann is a Maenad, an immortal creature from ancient Greek religion that is a female follower of Dionysus, the Greek god of wine and revelry. They have immense power and Daphne likens her to both God and Satan. Sam asks why Maryann is trying to kill him and Daphne tells him it is because he escaped from her once and that she cannot influence supernatural creatures the way she can with normal people.
Church goers arrive at the Light of Day church for a “lock in” and Steve tells Sarah that he needs to talk to her.
Arlene admits that she blacked out, too, which causes Tara to become suspicious of Maryann. Andy tries to confront Terry at Merlotte's (but he isn't there), raving about "devil-worshipers" and "devil-zombies" who turned Bon Temps, Louisiana into an "orgy from hell". The patrons just think he is crazy, however Sam knows he is telling the truth. At the hotel, Hoyt and Jessica consummate their love. Jason is fleeing the L.O.D.I through the woods when Sarah shows up and shoots him with an unknown weapon.
At the stream, Maryann thanks Daphne for her services, kisses her and then uses an entranced Eggs to kill Daphne. Sookie reaches out to Barry Horowitz telepathically. Barry goes to the hotel with the message, but Lorena still won’t let Bill leave. Eric overhears and races for the church.
Gabe bursts into the basement, beats up Hugo because he is a "Fangbanger" despite him helping the church and attempts to rape Sookie. At the last second he is pulled off by none other than Godric.
- This episode currently hasn't received any awards.
- Daphne: "People think she's Lilith, Gaia, Isis." Lilith is a storm demon in Mesopotamian mythology. She is thought to control the wind and is the bearer of disease, illness and death. Gaia is believed to be the earth mother. Belief in Gaia began in Greek mythology, but has since spread to many other civilizations. Isis is the Egyptian goddess of motherhood and fertility. She was seen as the ideal mother and as the keeper of nature and magic. She was also connected with the funeral rites of dead pharaohs.
Bloopers and Continuity ErrorsEdit
- There are no bloopers that occur in this episode.
- There are no continuity notes for this episode.
- 1935, Los Angeles California: Lorena brings a young dancer to Bill. Bill refuses to drink the girl and says he is done with Lorena and her evil lifestyle. He then threatens to stake himself if she does not let him leave. He tells her "I'm not the one who is afraid to be alone". She 'releases him', allowing him to leave her and no longer having any control over his life. He leaves and the couple parts ways.
- There are no miscredits that occur in this episode.
- "There Ought To Be A Moonlight Savings Time" - Guy Lombardo
- "Day Too Soon" - Sia
- "Release Me" - Conway Twitty & Loretta Lynn
- "Bleeding Love" - Leona Lewis
- "Sadie Don’t Throw Me Over" - James Combs
- "Death Trip" - Bad Livers
- There are no production notes available for this episode.
- There are no notes on the title based on this episode.
- The black and white movie that Tara and Eggs watch at Sookie's house is the 1958 film The Screaming Skull. The b-movie is best known for having appeared on Mystery Science Theatre 3000.
- In this episode, it is revealed that Maryann is a Maenad. As correctly stated in the episode, a Maenad is a female follower of Dionysus, the god of wine and the inspirer of ecstasy.
Arlene Fowler: "Thank Jesus Christ, Santa Claus, and Hare Krishna!"
Bill Compton: "You have lost your humanity and you have stolen mine"
- "If Godric is gone, nothing will bring back what I have lost."
- "You have got to be joking me. This is the Fellowship of the Sun? That's their army? Scared little boys with bibles and crosses?"
- "Don't look at me like that."
Hoyt Fortenberry: (in Jessica's hotel room, lighting the candles he bought) "I got these from the gift store downstairs. They're blood scented. To me they just smell like soup."
Jessica Hamby: "Hoyt...just take off your pants."
Lafayette Reynolds: "This shit is goin' faster than fritters at a fat farm."
Tara Thornton: "Are you telling me you date raped Terry Bellefleur? How's that even possible?"
Sookie Stackhouse: "Just do me a favor and shut the fuck up."
- "You are going to hell, and you are going there TODAY."
- "The war has begun. You evil whore of Satan!"
- "Honestly... what DO they see in you?"
Special guest starringEdit
|Episode #||Episode Title||Viewers (in millions)|
|#2.07 (19)||"Release Me"||4.27|
|True Blood Season 2|
|<< Season 1||Season 3 >> • Season 4 >> • Season 5 >>|
|#01 "Nothing but the Blood"||#07 "Release Me"|
|#02 "Keep This Party Going"||#08 "Timebomb"|
|#03 "Scratches"||#09 "I Will Rise Up"|
|#04 "Shake and Fingerpop"||#10 "New World in My View"|
|#05 "Never Let Me Go"||#11 "Frenzy"|
|#06 "Hard-Hearted Hannah"||#12 "Beyond Here Lies Nothin'"|