Different users have access to different functions of the site. While anyone can do most things on the site, including reading and editing, sheriffs can access a few additional functions.
This Wiki's Sheriffs
Founder - inactive
Part-time admin only
|Adamantoise||Red Coat Official|
Additional functions include:
- Editing articles properly and adding images properly on a weekly basis.
- Keeping articles up-to-date with new episode information.
- Deleting/un-deleting pages, page histories, and rolling back wrong edits.
- Locking (protecting) a page so it cannot be edited or renamed by users without admin rights or auto-confirmed status.
- Blocking IP addresses or user names from editing; and very quick "rollback" of undesirable edits.
Additional functions include:
- Make other users into bureaucrats or administrators on their own wiki.
- Give users the ability to "rollback" edits not made in good faith.
Bureaucrats are currently not able to remove admin status from any user; please contact one of the community team if you need that done.
Staff and Janitors
- Limited administrator access to all Wikia for cleanup purposes.
- Shown on Special:Listusers/janitor on any Wikia.
Please see Help:Contacting Wikia for details on how to contact Wikia staff.
Becoming a sheriff
For you to become an administrator, someone with bureaucrat access must make you one. On larger Wikia, there will usually be a community page for requests, with a page name such as "True Blood Wiki:Requests for adminship".
On this Wiki, you can request on a bureaucrat's talk page. Request for nomination answering the following questions:
- Why do you want to become a sheriff?
- Have you been a major contributor for this wiki? If yes, link your contribution page.
- If you were to become an administrator, how would it benefit this wiki?
- Can you provide reference from a veteran user and/or links of other Wikias you've contributed to?
(Please note that no answer is wrong and will not immediately disqualify you from becoming a sheriff)
After your request, a discussion between current sheriffs will take place and a decision will eventually be made. If your request is denied, you may try again at a later date.
If there are no active bureaucrats and you wish to become a sheriff or adopt the wiki, please contact the community staff. If there are other active editors but no active bureaucrats/admins, you should first discuss with them on who should become an admin, whether it be one of you, or all of you.
Using administrator powers
Ideally a sheriff shouldn't be considered "in charge". The ideal sheriff is just someone who is trusted to have a few extra buttons and to use them for the benefit of the Wikia community.
Sheriff powers should be used for:
- Keeping the Wiki clear of vandalism, spam, and users who make malicious edits.
Sheriff powers should 'not' be used for:
- Settling editing disputes (to lock a page on a version he or she prefers in an editing dispute that isn't vandalism).
- Ending simple disagreements between users acting in good faith.
See Help:Administrators' how-to guide for a guide on using admin functions.