|Turn! Turn! Turn!|
|Season 5, Episode 01|
|Air date||June 10, 2012|
|Written by||Brian Buckner|
|Directed by||Daniel Minahan|
"And When I Die"
"Authority Always Wins"
Sookie and Lafayette struggle with the aftermath of Tara's shooting, while also cleaning up after the killing of Debbie Pelt. Meanwhile, Bill and Eric, cleaning up a mess of their own, are visited by the Vampire Authority, one of whom is Nora Gainesborough, a woman from Eric's past. In search of the missing Marcus Bozeman, Alcide's werewolf pack comes after Sam. With Bill away, Jessica enjoys her new freedom by partying with local college kids; Jason is visited by the recently turned Rev. Steve Newlin; Terry's PTSD is reignited by Patrick Devins, an old Iraq War buddy; and Alcide turns up at Sookie's to warn her about the recently resurfaced Russell Edgington.
Bill calls Jessica to let her know that he will be out of town and that she is free to use his home. Eric is seen in the background cleaning up Nan's bloody mess with vampire speed. Bill and Eric both sense Sookie who is in danger but Eric says, "Fuck Sookie," reminding Bill that she has rejected them both. He knows that cleaning up Nan's mess is more important.
Lafayette hears the gun blast and runs downstairs. Bill, after hearing the rifle shot, rushes from his house, only to have armored soldiers entrap him in a silver net. Eric, hearing Bill's scream, mutters "They're already here!" and runs out as well, but is also trapped by a flying net made of silver.
Lafayette, hearing Sookie yelling for help, runs into the kitchen and finds her holding Tara, who has suffered a gunshot blast to the head. Pam suddenly shows up looking for Eric. Sookie demands Pam to leave, but before she can do so, Lafayette begs for her to turn Tara into a vampire. Sookie first opposes the idea, as does Pam, but Lafayette pleads with Pam. Sookie then tells Pam she will "owe her one," offering to reverse Antonia's rotting spell, but Pam tells her the spell was reversed when Marnie was killed. Pam only wants Sookie to help her mend the relationship between herself and Eric. Sookie agrees, and Pam bites her wrist and bleeds into Tara's open mouth.
Jason answers the door to his home nude and Steve Newlin is there, saying he only wants to talk. Steve says he doesn't have anyone to turn to, cannot glamour anyone and doesn't even know who turned him. He said it was a strange woman who just left him; she didn't even give him her name. Steve does wind up glamouring Jason though (despite lying about his inability to do so), and Jason allows him into his home.
Sam is surrounded by werewolves. One morphs back into human form and asks about the whereabouts of her packmaster Marcus Bozeman. She said he's been missing more than two days. Sam shifts into an owl and escapes.
Pam crawls into a hole dug by Lafayette and Sookie and lies next to Tara. At first, she doesn't care to "hold" Tara, but begrudgingly does so. Sookie and Lafayette cover them with dirt.
Sam shows up at Luna's house to warn her and Emma that a werewolf pack is looking for them and that they are in danger. Rikki arrives at Luna's and threatens them. Sam says that he was the one who killed Marcus so the pack will stay away from Luna and Emma.
Steve tapes Jason's mouth shut while glamouring him. He says he will release him from the glamour soon, and that all he will remember is that he asked Steve inside and asked to have the tape put over his mouth. After he is released, Steve begins to talk to him. Apologizing for being all "murderous," Steve confesses to being a "gay Vampire-American" and in love with Jason. Steve then rips the tape off Jason's mouth, and Jason says he is flattered by Steve's feelings and forgives him for acting "murderous." He says though, "this dog don't bark that way." Steve gets angry because Jason doesn't return his feelings, but Jason says that's not how love works. He attacks Jason, but Jessica shows up and saves him. Jason rescinds his invitation, and Steve is forced out, but not before saying "I love you!" Jessica then kisses Jason as a presumed prelude of more intimacy.
Eric and Bill – still trapped inside the car trunk – work together to get an umbrella and puncture a hole in the gas tank with its metal tip. The car then explodes after they create a spark of fire. Before Hayes can kill Eric or Bill, Nora stakes Hayes first. Eric approaches her instantly and kisses her passionately. He tells Bill that Nora is his sister, as both of them were turned by Godric.
Lafayette is in Sookie's kitchen taking pills as she begins to clean up Debbie's body. Sookie says Lafayette doesn't have to help if he doesn't want to. He asks why she won't just call the police; they would believe a white girl. Sookie said that it wasn't self-defense; that she was thinking very clearly and she wanted to kill Debbie. She wanted to pull the trigger. Lafayette gets some gloves and helps.
Eric, Bill and Nora are walking along the pier. Nora explains the Guardian had Nan followed, and Nora took the opportunity to save Eric before the Authority got to them. They are unaware that Nora is Eric's sister. When Bill asked why she did this, she said she would do anything for Eric. Eric reciprocates, saying he'd do anything for her. She was going to have a car waiting to ambush their car and kill Hayes, but Eric and Bill's stunt beat her to it. She said not to apologize, admitting that it was "bad ass." They go to ground for the day inside a huge cargo container. Nora calls Roman, lying about Bill and Eric being dead. Bill tells Eric he knew he had friends in high places, but is surprised to have a Chancellor on his side. Not even Pam knows about the alliance with Nora. Nora explains to them that they cannot return to the lives they had. If they do, her life will end, as Roman thinks Eric and Bill are now dead.
Sookie and Lafayette arrive at his (Lafayette's) home to help get rid of Jesus' body. When Lafayette walks into his home, however, the body is missing. Lafayette cannot understand where he went or what happened. Lafayette is clearly upset and needs to say goodbye to Jesus. He tries to use his medium powers and calls out to Jesus, but fails.
Holly's ex-husband drops her sons off at home from a hunting trip. They discover Andy in bed with their mom, nude. He wakes Holly up, and she is surprised to see Wade and Rocky there. She awkwardly introduces them to Andy. Andy finally gets his pants and leaves in a rush, as the conversation between the Clearys degrades into an argument.
Patrick Devins, Arlene, Terry, Coby and Lisa are all having breakfast together. Patrick shows how impressed he is that Terry has his life together, but Terry insists he just wants to keep to a simple life and flip burgers. Arlene also mentions the house fire they had, which visibly disturbs Patrick.
Sookie takes a shower, during which she has a flashback to when she was a pre-teen. She wants to play baseball with the other kids but they won't invite her. She uses her telepath skills to listen to the kids, and hears them calling her names in their minds. When she threatens a boy with revealing his masturbatory habits, he calls her crazy and attacks Sookie. A young Tara comes to her aid, pulling the boy off Sookie and punching him. Sookie's mind returns to the present, and she leaves her shower. She looks out the window at the ground where Pam and Tara are nesting.
Lafayette is sitting on Sookie's bed when she says the bathroom is all his, and she left a fresh towel. Lafayette takes a bath, and while he does, he stares at a pink razor nearby.
Hearing a knock on the door, Sookie answers to find Alcide standing there. He comes in and warns her that Russell Edgington is now on the loose. He tells her she should join him for safety. She is about to tell him about Debbie, but Lafayette – now completely bald-headed, having apparently used the razor to shave it – comes downstairs and tells Alcide to leave.
At Merlotte's, Jason and Andy are eating lunch when Judge Clemmons approaches to discuss a speeding ticket his son Ronny got for going 75 mph in a 25-mph zone. Jason tries to Hoyt, but the road crew teases him and calls him "girlfriend fucker." Hoyt tells Jason to "get the fuck out of my face." Downtrodden, Jason walks away, leaving a satisfied Hoyt with his work buddies.
Lafayette tells Alcide that they are done with his kind, or any supernatural kind. Alcide growls at him, but Lafayette doesn't back down saying "don't growl at me." Sookie tells him he should go and that she can't leave. Alcide says she knows where to find him, if she changes her mind. Lafayette talks to Sookie telepathically. He also says the sun will be going down soon, and that they should be there for Tara.
Sam is tortured by the wolf pack and questioned about the whereabouts of Marcus' remains. Martha Bozeman arrives and introduces herself to Sam. Martha wants her son's body back so that they can get rid of him properly. Martha promises that if he leads them to Marcus' body, no harm will come to Luna or Emma. Sam agrees and says "Let's go."
In the cargo container, Eric and Nora are having passionate sex standing up while Bill waits outside. Eric says "I miss you, sister" in Swedish. Bill comments how New Orleans is only 60 miles away and that perhaps they should be more quiet. Eric's cell phone rings, and it is Alcide. He discovers that Russell is now free.
Someone, who looks to be Nate, drags a human into a dark room. The door closes and guttural sounds emerge. Screams follow as blood splatters on the window looking into the room.
At Bill's mansion, Jessica is having a party with college kids. They tell Jessica to join college, but she claims she is already big and powerful. Jason arrives and takes off his cop uniform so that he can join the party. Jason gets his feelings hurt when he finds out that Jessica didn't mean anything by saying "Jason is mine" to Steve Newlin. Cammy shows interest in Jason, and he eagerly sits next to her.
Patrick shows up at Terry's work and explains he also lost all his belongings in a fire. It seems something happened in Iraq, and several members of their platoon have had issues with unexplained fires. Terry shoves Patrick away, and Patrick knocks Terry down. Patrick admits he came to find Terry, originally thinking him responsible for the fires. He is also looking for someone to help him find a lost Private and find out what is going on. Terry refuses, wanting nothing to do with the search, and Patrick – feeling betrayed – leaves.
Back at the party, Jason and Jessica play "Guitar Hero" and sing "Cherry Bomb." Jason sees a frat boy start to come on to Jessica, so he decides to hit on Cammy. He leaves with her and brings her out to the squad car. Jessica watches Jason leave. Cammy says she can go to her sorority house, but Jason says he just wants to take her back and not have sex. He explains that he just doesn't want to be a bad guy who would end up hurting her.
Sam brings the pack to Marcus' body. The wolves dig him up and the remove him from his shallow grave. Before Rikki can throw Sam into the grave, Luna shows up with Alcide, who admits he was the one who killed Marcus. Two wolves bow to him, declaring him the new pack leader. But an older pack member forces the two wolves to stand. He claims he will never bow before Alcide, but Alcide is "cool either way." This main older werewolf objecting – J.D. – then shifts along with Martha, and the two wolves begin to eat Marcus' corpse.
Nora, Eric and Bill are walking along a pier when they meet with Cat Ingerslev, who has their new papers (new identities). Bill is "Marcelus Clark" and Eric is "Ike Applebaum." Cat says new papers are hard to come by. She tells them it is time to say goodbyes. Eric kisses Nora. Suddenly, all the surrounding vampires – including Cat – are instantly killed, and a loud voice (presumably Roman's) is heard from above. The Authority has killed the other vampires, and has trapped Eric, Bill and Nora.
Back at Sookie's, Lafayette returns to the house to get some food for the two of them. Sookie sees Pam's hand emerge from the soil. She is clearly aggravated, complaining of dirt in her bra. Sookie asks if it worked, and Pam says she doesn't know, taking a swig of a bottle of Tru Blood and grimacing at the taste. Sookie digs at the grave, finally finding Tara's cold, lifeless head and begins to cry. Lafayette turns the corner and sees what is happening. He gets clearly upset as well. Then, in an instant, Tara emerges with super speed as a vampire and is about to attack Sookie. Sookie yells "Lafayette!"
- Lafayette flashes back to seeing Jesus' body in a chair within his living room.
- Sookie remembers being bullied as a pre-teen and Tara coming to her aid by punching a boy who attacked her.
- Director Daniel Minahan describes the most frustrating moment of filming this episode, was Alex and Stephen in the trunk. They apparently got really bad "church giggles" and couldn't stop laughing. Dan said, "I wanted to cry."
- The Season 5 premiere attracted 5.2 million viewers during the 9 p.m. ET broadcast. Including the total from the 11 p.m. screening, the episode was watched by 6.3 million viewers for the night.
- On a social-media level the premiere broke all records by generating nearly 242,000 comments on Facebook and Twitter on Sunday night, making it the most talked about premium cable season premiere ever. The episode's performance surpasses showings for premium cable premieres of "Game of Thrones" (58,845 comments), "Dexter" (23,935), "Eastbound & Down" (13,672) and "Boardwalk Empire" (13,616).
Bloopers, continuity errors and fun facts
- Everyone thinks Sookie's car is a Gremlin. However in the HBO GO interactive features, we discover her car is actually a 1981 Honda Civic.
- "Silly Love Songs" by Paul McCartney & Wings plays as the town car barrels down the road with Eric and Bill in the trunk. Hayes and Nora are in the front seat driving and listening to the radio.
- "You're So Mean" by Biff Scarborough plays as Andy and Judge Clements talk.
- "The Soul Train's a Comin'" by eBlues Highway plays as Jason talks to Hoyt.
- "MDV Serenade" by Blee plays as Jessica parties with some frat kids. Jason shows up.
- "Devil in Me" by Ken Will Morton & The Wholly Ghosts plays out back of Merlotte's.
- "Cherry Bomb (Guitar Hero Version)" by The Runaways plays as Jason is with Carmy in his car. Cammy wants to stay out with Jason but he thinks he should take her home.
- "Feels Like The First Time (Guitar Hero 2007 Version)" by Foreigner plays as Jessica and the college kids play Guitar Hero.
- "Turn, Turn, Turn" by My Morning Jacket plays over the end credits.
- Jessica Hamby- "Jason is mine!"
- Pam - "Turn her? I don't even like her!"
- Bill (to Eric and Nora)- "Could you quiet down in there? New Orleans is only about 60 miles away."
- Pam (after seeing a dead Debbie and Tara)- "Color me impressed! You guys know how to party."
- Pam- "The head would be up there"
- Pam- "There is dirt... in my bra."
- Eric- "Ike Applebaum?"
- Eric- "We fight like siblings, but we fuck like champions."
- Eric to Bill- "I'm not leaving you here!"
- Nora- "Even the best of liars can be ended."
- Steve Newlin- "I'm a gay, vampire American! And I love you Jason Stackhouse!"
- Jason- "Fangs are basically like twin hard-ons."
- Jessica- "Who the fuck I am is an older vampire than you! Who I also am is the progeny of the King of Louisiana who happens to be out of town, which pretty much makes me the Queen!"
- Eric- "You ever heard of a vampire being hauled in by the Authority, then live to tell about it?"
- Vampire Authority- "In the name of the one true Vampire Authority, in whose wisdom and justice all is made manifest by God, do not fucking move!"
- Lafayette- "You told me to keep on breathing, to keep on living. HOW?!"
- Alcide- "Smells clean to me... like lemons on top of ammonia on top of bleach."
- Steve Newlin to Jason-"Don't pity me, LOVE ME!"
- Pam- "Even if I try, what's to say she wont rise up out of the ground tomorrow night completely and utterly fuck-tarded?"
- Pam- "If you can use your magic hands or super snatch, whatever power it is you have over Eric, to fix what's broken between us, and you'll still owe me one... you've got yourself a deal."
|True Blood Season 5|
|<< Season 1 • << Season 2 • << Season 3 • << Season 4|
|#01 Turn! Turn! Turn!||#07 In the Beginning|
|#02 Authority Always Wins||#08 Somebody That I Used to Know|
|#03 Whatever I Am, You Made Me||#09 Everybody Wants to Rule the World|
|#04 We’ll Meet Again||#10 Gone, Gone, Gone|
|#05 Let's Boot and Rally||#11 Sunset|
|#06 Hopeless||#12 Save Yourself|